Monday, September 10, 2007

Writing

"Crafting a Life" was especially helpful to me, professionally and personally. I have been writing since I was five years old and for the past six months I have been banging the proverbial head against the wall. Murray said, "...In the act of exposure, writers discover themselves." This has been an undeniable truth for me. In writing I realize more accurately what I think and why. I sincerely appreciated his view that writing is "a celebration of loneliness" as much as it is an act rising from the condition.
The most helpful of Murray's suggestions was that writing is like a job. You cannot wait for inspiration, you must practice. It is a responsibility to ourselves. This suggestion in itself was inspiration for me to realize the dedication and love that are necessary to becoming a better writer.

No comments: