Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I'm From a Hungry Home of God and Drugs

I am from the tire swing,
Flintstones vitamins and food stamps.
I'm from stuffed green peppers, mom's heavy musk
and hairspray. Barbie birthday cake and
a bunny named Brian.

I am the exhaust of a million cars rushing past,
tables dusted with drugs and a man saying,
"I'll shoot".
I am from a pounding on the door and
"It's only 28 days hunny".

I am from the onions I was forced to try,
the cookies stolen before dinner
and the best mashed potatoes you ever had.
I'm from jack-o-lanterns, "Where the Wild Things Are," and
footprints to be followed in the snow.

I'm from scared, sleepless nights
I was sure "Chucky" lay under my bed; to
fearless days playing pirates under the overpass.
I'm from curious, frog catching hands and eyes infatuated
with a beautiful mother.
I'm from wide eyes and a blonde pony tail thinking,
"I'm just a little girl; it's too hard to understand this yet."

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Josie,

I really love the look of your blog. The picture is great!
The imagery in your poem is fantastic as well. I could relate to the "flintstones vitamins" and "Where the Wild Things Are" Your poem also has so much more going on inside of it. The voices are somewhat haunting.

I'm glad I could read your poem.